Tuesday, February 23, 2010

World Vision



I decided to write this week about an organization I love and have donated to in the past, it is called World Vision. World Vision is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.  They give a lot of good information on hunger and world hunger that is very motivating to get people involved.  They say every 7 seconds a child dies of hunger. I think hearing these statistics are very saddening but I know that World Vision gives out 600 metric tons of emergency food aid to people every single day!   They also have a small article on the effects that hunger has on children, stories to read about people who have suffered from hunger, as well as ways to fight hunger today.  They list some ways in which people can help fight hunger with the first being to sponsor a child.  For just $1 per day a child can get sustainable food sources, clean water, education, and other opportunities.  Another way in which to help is to make a one time donation or opt to give a monthly donation to the organization. They also have a program for the youth to get involved and it’s called “30 hour famine”.  They have a short video to watch about it and I think it’s a fantastic way to get the youth to be apart of something good and increase their awareness of the issues.http://www.30hourfamine.org/?lpos=ctr_txt_30HourFamine.
What I like most about this organization is that they don’t just give food to help with physical needs but they give people the good news and hope through faith in Jesus Christ! That is something that they will have forever that cannot be taken away from them. Secondly, they give people tools, animals, seeds, and also provide the training they need so they can continue to feed themselves and their communities. Thirdly, they plead the cause of the hungry all around the world! How awesome!  I am so thankful for this organization and their dedication to fighting world hunger.

No comments: