Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Assignment for my Global Nutrition Class

I am going to give my thoughts about how humans ate during the pre-flood era according to what I read in the book of Genesis. Moses recounts the creation story and in Genesis 1:30 describes the food that's given for all living creatures which was seed bearing plants, trees that bear fruit, and green plants. The Garden of Eden is where the first humans, Adam & Eve, were able to eat from and it's described in Genesis 2:9. I am under the assumption that this special garden provided for all of their nutritional needs at the time and there was no need to eat anything else that was not already provided for them there. Since they did not have to hunt or gather for their food their energy requirements were probably much lower at this time. From what I am gathering, early humans were primarily vegetarian from the time of creation up to the time of the flood. When Adam and Eve were driven out of the garden and required to work the ground for good I am sure their energy needs increased. In Genesis 4:2 it describes Abel as a keeper of sheep, and then Cain, as a tiller of the ground. I am assuming these sheep were used for clothing, misc. uses, and sacrifice for sin, not necessarily for food. I have heard other opinions who think they used the animal products for food but not the meat itself. I would need to do more research on that but I lean towards no for the time being. This diet was very high in fiber and they had large selection of plants, fruits, grains to choose from. They must have had a lot of leafy green vegetables to get enough of their calcium intake (especially if they were not using any dairy products). They also most likely had the maximum nutritional benefits because they ate most of these foods raw and uncooked. In reading the geneology of Adam in chapter 5, it says he lived to be over 900 years old and as you go down the list they seem to be going down in age. I believe our bodies are much different today than the early people. I should note that it doesn't necessarily mean they had a high life expectancy for various reasons. Before the whole earth floods the earth is multiplying and God gives us an age limit of 120 years. I am assuming that our bodies began to develop at a faster speed at this point but I don't know I would have to look into that as well. After the flood Genesis 9:3 says "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs." This is why I believe they were vegetarians up to the flood because to me this is now God giving them authority to eat not just plants but animals as well. In conclusion, I believe they ate very healthy, a diet filled with raw fruits, vegetables, and grains is awesome!

No comments: